Mackerel on rye
Open sandwiches make a lovely light lunch or dinner – try topping dark rye bread with Mackerel fillets, crème fraîche and tomatoes
- 3 slices (around 50g each) pumpernickel-style dark rye bread, cut in half
- 50g half-fat crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped dill, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce
- 1 small eating apple, quartered, cored and cut into small chunks
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 slender celery stick, sliced
- 125g mackerel fillets
- 75g vacuum-packed beetroot (not in vinegar), drained
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
1. Divide the bread between 2 plates or boards. Mix the crème fraîche, dill and horseradish sauce in a bowl. Stir in the apple, tomatoes and celery, then spoon on top of the bread.
2. Flake the mackerel into chunky pieces and arrange on top. Cut the beetroot into small chunks and place on top of the mackerel. Top with more dill and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.